Updated April 2, 2019
Today, let’s talk about beauty tips – better yet, let’s talk about 101 beauty tips and tricks!
I’ve written up a few (well, 101) of my very favourite beauty tips and tricks to share with you all to help you feel great, look great, and never have to deal with a weird deodorant stain on your shirt ever again.
The Ultimate Beauty Guide: 101 Beauty Tips and Tricks
1. Struggle with dry lips? Invest in a lip balm, or make your own (it’s super easy!). Use a lip scrub frequently, and also use Sugar Wonder Drops Lip Primer before bed to ensure your lips are soft and smooth 24/7. Oh, and don’t forget to apply lip balm after both of these treatments to really lock in moisture.
2. Say goodbye to deodorant stains on clothes by rubbing a pair of nylons over them.
3. You can create your own makeup remover pads by soaking cotton pads in coconut oil
4. De-wrinkle your clothes FAST simply by hanging them in the washroom while you shower. The steam will help loosen out those wrinkles!
6. Re-purpose your old mascara brushes as brow brushes and to tame flyaways. Simply wash the brush and use away!
7. Bring your favourite scent where ever you go by investing in a travel perfume case, by grabbing your favourite scents in travel size.
8. When in doubt, wrap the waist of your pants around your neck. If it fits around your neck than it likely will also fit your waistline!
9. When travelling, pack socks in your shoes to save space and help keep your shoes shape.
10. Invest in a travel makeup and jewelry bags. Don’t risk items breaking in your luggage because they are packed loosely!
11. One easy way to save space while travelling is to pack items inside the head-inset of your hats. This helps utilize space as well as helps keep the shape of your hats!
12. To instantly make your lips appear fuller, add a touch of highlighter to your cupids bow and to the inner part of your bottom lip.
13. For silky dresses, or pieces that won’t hang on wooden hangers, invest in velvet hangers. Velvet hangers will help keep your most slippery of pieces hanging in place!
14. Often your denim easily by adding a cup of vinegar to your next wash. The smell will subside, but the softness of your denim will last forever!
15. Re-purpose those little mesh bags that carry jewelry by adding some scented beads into them. Add those little packs of scented beads to your dresser drawers to help keep your clothing smelling fresh.
16. The secret to wearing leather leggings stylishly is to treat them like leggings – not pants! Wear them with long shirts or oversized sweaters to look chic – and feel super comfy. Win-win!
17. Prolong the period between washes for your denim by throwing them in the freezer overnight. This is supposed to help clean your denim naturally, remove oders, and won’t fade your jeans like the washing machine will.
18. Exfoliate your skin 24 hours before applying self tanner to get a flawless and even tan.
19. Reduce the sunspots by using lemon juice on a cotton pad on them. The acid is supposed to help fade them away!
20. Use a coffee-based scrub to reduce the look of stretch marks and cellulite. I personally use Franks Body Scrub! OR, create your own coffee scrub right at home with this super easy DIY coffee scrub project!
21. Also, treat cellulite by dry-brushing! Dry-brushing is a great way to increase blood circulation which helps flush fat cells from your skin. Plus, it helps break down toxins in the body!
22. Remove icky oil stains by applying baby powder onto the stain and leaving it overnight. The powder is supposed to draw out the oil and leave your clothes stain-free!
23. Get beautifully styled hair overnight by braiding your hair before going to bed. Read more tricks on getting gorgeous hair overnight here!
24. Ran out of cuticle cream? Oils are a great substitute! I personally use coconut oil on my cuticles.
25. Ran out of hair serum or a leave-in product? That’s OK! Use coconut oil to seal up your ends, and substitute your favourite leave-in product with a tiny bit of conditioner.
26. Get rid of brassy blonde hair by investing in a GREAT purple shampoo. I shared the absolutely BEST Purple Shampoo here!
27. Reduce damage to your hair by embracing heatless curl techniques. Click here to find one SUPER easy heatless beach waves tutorial!
28. Re-purpose your favourite bronzer as a eyeshadow. When worn together (as a bronzer and eyeshadow) you’ll appear more naturally bronzed.
29. The secret to mixing prints stylishly is to pair one large print with one small print. For example, a large brocade print will look chic with a subtly stripes t-shirt.
30. If you’re in a serious pinch, use an unscented clear lipbalm to sooth dry cuticles.
31. Make your eyes appear larger but applying a highlight shadow to your inner eye tearduct area and to your brow bone.
32. Hydrate dry feet overnight by applying a heavy body or foot lotion to your feet and then putting on cozy wooly socks overtop. The socks will help your feet fully absorb the lotion.
33. Cure dry rough hands by soaking them in a mixture of oil and warm water. Once removed from the hydrating bath, apply a moisturizing hand cream like Aveeno’s Skincare Relief Hand Cream.
34. Intensify a sheer or subtly pigmented eyeshadow by applying it with a damp eyeshadow brush.
35. If you are blonde and struggling with damage then grow out your roots and embrace the ombre look. You can even go to your hairdresser to help make the colour transition more natural. Going ombre will give your hair the break it needs from bleach and hair dye!
36. If you struggle with dry lips then invest in a tinted lip balm. Lipsticks will just dry out your lips, and matte lipsticks will show every chapped bit of them!
37. If you’re as obsessed with the matte lipstick trend as I am, then invest in Smashbox’s Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer! Smashbox Insta-Matte Lipstick Transformer takes any lipstick in your beauty bin and INSTANTLY turns it into a matte finish.
38. To get EXTRA shiny hair, rinse out your conditioner with cold water rather than hot. Cold water helps seal up your hair cuticle to create smoother shinier hair.
39. In order to avoid ingrown hairs or broken eyebrow hairs, tweeze in the direction your brows grow – not against!
40. If you like in a climate similar to Vancouver’s than you’re in luck, all that moisture in the air is incredible for your skin!
If not though, steam your face (by filling your sink up with hot water and allowing the steam to hit your face) before moisturizing to get extra soft healthy looking skin.
41. If you’re not into sticky sunscreens but you want to protect your skin from the sun, try using a powder sunscreen! You can buy a loose mineral sunscreen such as Colorescience Sunforgettable Loose Mineral Sunscreen Brush Broad Spectrum SPF 50, or Bare Minerals Mineral Veil SPF 20.
42. To condition and keep stray brow hairs in place, apply a bit of Vaseline, Coconut Oil, or a bar of soap to an old clean mascara brush. Simply swipe the Vaseline, Oil, or even a bar of soap over your brows to make messy brows appear streamlined, and to condition them throughout the day.
43. Quickly reduce puffy eyes by placing to cold spoons or two slices of cold cucumbers over your eyes.
44. To ensure your makeup lasts all day, invest in a setting spray. My favourite is Urban Decays All Nighter Setting Spray.
45. Always apply a powder sunscreen to your hair and scalp lines in order to avoid getting burns on your head!
46. Apply concealer in a V shape under your eyes rather than a wide U shape to create a more natural look.
47. Don’t forget to moisturize your elbows! They tend to be forgotten.
48. Rather than investing in mini travel products, instead head to the dollar store to pick up travel containers.
This way you can simply squeeze a bit of your favourite products into the inexpensive mini containers and you’ll never have to go without your beauty faves!
49. Feel a zit coming on? Add in Briogeo B. Well Organic + Australian 100% Tea Tree Oil into your usual skincare routine! Do not squeeze the pimple as this will only make it more red, irritated, and visible.
50. Eat more strawberries – they naturally help whiten teeth!
51. Hydrate super dry hands overnight by applying lotion and wearing gloves while you sleep. It may look and feel weird, but you’ll wake up with nourished and hydrated hands!
52. To grow out your hair faster, massage your scalp with a conditioner or oil. Massaging your scalp encourages blood flow which will help increase the rate of your hair growth.
53. Rinse your hair with Apple Cider Vinegar to instantly get shinier locks
54. When you apply your moisturizer or any ant-aging creams, be sure to also apply the product to your neck and decollate!
This step is often forgotten yet it so important to keeping those areas as healthy and glowy looking as your face.
55. Don’t pump your mascara! This actually dries out the mascara and makes it chunkier. Plus, the drier the mascara, the more likely it is to irritate your eyes.
56. Clean your makeup brushes regularly! Otherwise, you’re just using dirty brushes on your face which will cause more breakouts and acne.
57. Reduce the damage you to do your hair in the shower by investing in a no-suds shampoo. The suds in your shampoos strip your hair of healthy natural oils that nourish your hair.
58. To eliminate excess oil in your hair (especially if you consistently use a no-suds shampoo) invest in a clarifying shampoo like Neutrogena’s Anti Residue Shampoo.
59. Eat more healthy fats! Foods such as avocados, nuts, fish and olive oil are all rich in healthy fats which are great for your brain, skin, and hair!
60. Create more balanced looking skin by learning how to use Colour Correcting methods and products!
61. When your hair is nearly dry, flip your hair over and blowdry the under-part of your hair. This will help you seriously build up some volume!
62. Prolong the wear time of your makeup, and reduce shine, by using a finishing powder or mineral veil after you’ve applied all your products. Use the finishing spray mentioned earlier after applying the powder to get rid of any “powdery look”.
63. Create your own tinted lip balm by melted a small bit of lipstick into Vaseline. You can even add in some coconut oil, or other oils you like to make it extra-moisturizing (this is especially great if you have lipsticks you don’t often wear because they are too bright, etc!)
64. Throw a little conditioner into your hair before working out. The conditioner will dry and hydrate hair while you’re working out. Since you’ll be hopping in the shower after exercising anyways it’s the perfect time to do a quick deep condition!
65. Take cat naps over long naps to help feel more awake throughout the day. Taking longer naps will actually make it more difficult for you to get a full nights sleep! And, we all know how important sleep is to our beauty routines.
66. To soften stiff clothing, add fabric softener and throw a few tennis balls into your dryer. They will hit the fabric and soften them as they dry.
67. Also throw tennis balls in the dryer to help speed up the drying time.
68 If you’re heading on vacation from somewhere cold to somewhere hot, then pack along a scarf that can double as a sarong. This way you’ll have something cozy for when you’re home and on your flight that will also be useful when you’re on the beach.
69. Feeling hungry? First check to see if you’re actually thirsty! Apparently, when our bodies are dehydrated we feel hungry even though what we actually are is thirsty!
70. Always pack along after-sun or aloe vera when you’re heading on a tropical vacation.
Even if you don’t get a sun burn, these ointments can help sooth skin after a day in the sunshine.
71. Using a Q-tip, apply coconut oil on your lashes and brows each night. This helps condition them while you sleep and encourages them to grow!
72. Rather than baking out in the sunshine, instead invest in a great self-tanner or head to the tanning salon for a spray tan. You’ll achieve that summery glow without any of the awful sun damage you can get from the sun.
73. Can’t ever get that perfect cat eye flick? Hold up a piece of paper to guide your liner. If you still find the line appears to thick, simply use a Q-tip to thin out the line.
75. Balance your beauty by mixing shimmery products with matte products. For example, if you have a glossy or glittery lip then pair it with a matte eyeshadow look. This will always create beautifully balanced makeup look.
76. Always apply & base coat to your nails, otherwise you’ll end up with yellow-tinged nail beds!
77. If you feel self-conscious in a bold red lip then first try a red-toned lip stain. This will ease you into feeling confident in a brighter lip colour.
78, Create your own tinted moisturizer by mixing your foundation with a moisturizer. You can even add a bit of a facial sunscreen to the mix in order to create a tinted moisturizer with SPF!
79. Rock a highlighter! Nothing will make you feel more glowy and refreshed than a beautiful glowy highlight. Apply it to your cheeks, temple, tip of the nose, cupids bow, and brow bone area for a beautiful overall glow.
80. While getting a hair trim every 6-8 weeks won’t make your hair grow faster, it will help reduce breakage which can help you grow longer stronger hair.
81. Practice your “5 minute face” makeup routine. It will always prove useful to have a makeup look that you LOVE and takes next to no time!
82. Embrace what makes YOU unique. Nothing hurts your beauty game like a lack of confidence – so love yourself, and all your beautiful quirks!
83. Always exfoliate your skin thoroughly before applying a self-tanner. This helps reduce the look of tan-lines, or of uneven fading.
84. To make your collar bone have that beautiful glow, add the highlight you use on your cheeks to your collar bone.
85. To get gorgeous looking legs, invest in a product (Like The Body Shops Honey Bronze Dry Oil) that& adds a bit of shine and a slight tan to your skin.
87. If you struggle with dry skin then you should invest in a cream blush. This will help achieve the appearance of smoother healthier skin.
88. Find out which items you’re wearing frquently, and which you aren’t, by flipping the hangers the other way once you’ve worn something. This way you’ll quickly see which items can be donated, or which pieces you want to make more of an effort incorporating into your daily style.
89. Have a bunch of lotions that are nearing their end? Rather than waste them, combine them together and add in a bit of coconut oil to create an awesome and waste-reducing lotion.
90. Instantly get longer looking legs by having your heels match the colour of your pants. Black pants + black heels will create a longer looking leg-line.
91. Did you know squishing your face into cotton bedding can actually cause wrinkles? A silk pillowcase is easier on your skin and hair.
92. Create the perfect contour by using the “3” shape method on your face. Using a large angle brush, begin to draw the contour on your forehead, bring it down and draw a line under your cheekbone, and then follow your jawline. After you’ve applied this 3 shape, then take a contour brush and buff the contour line in. Do this in natural light to ensure the line in well blended.
93. Invest in a contour palette. Rather than just using one shade to contour, use a few. This will create a more natural and subtle contour line.
94. Go to sleep when you’re tired. It’s easy to get fomo and want to stay out late, but when you’re tired – reward your body with a goodnights sleep. Sleep is so important and when you need it, you’ll know it.
95. Never use a mascara passed its expiry date. Replace your mascara every four to six months. Dry expired mascara will irritate your eyes and eye lashes.
96. Have a hair donut on hand. These nifty little hairstyle tools easily create perfect buns – they are the BEST for those “in a rush” moments.
97. To instantly look firmer, quickly do a few squats and lunges. By engaging your muscles they will tighten slightly and appear more taut
98. When it comes to cloths – don’t get overly attached to the idea that black is the only slimming colour! The truth is, it’s much less important to focus on colour and much more important to focus on shape.
99. There are lots of ways to feel more confident on the beach, but one important one is to focus on taking care of yourself from head to toe. Invest in a body lotion that hydrates your skin and creates the look of healthy soft skin. My personal favourites are Kiehl’s creme de corps and Aveeno moisturizing lotion. Or, try a gradual tanner to feel more glowy and bronzed, like St. Tropez Gradual Tanner.
100. To sooth super dry skin, mix a bit of oil into your lotion and then apply it. The added oils will add an extra boost of hydration.
101. Don’t pay attention to sizes, pay attention to fit. The truth is that your size can and will vary from store to store, so rather than getting caught up in numbers, get caught up in what fits you best!
Any beauty tricks I missed and that you can’t live without? Let me know in the comments below!