outfit details: Printed Blouse with Bell Sleeves c/o Dynamite Clothing (ON SALE FOR ONLY $25!), Similar Forever 21 Faux Fur Vest, American Eagle Flare Jean,
As soon as I put this outfit on, my mood completely shifted.
Every so often you find that piece that just speaks to you and your style, and it instantly puts a smile on your face.
For me, that piece was this playful 70s inspired shirt; styled with my favourite flared jeans, cozy fur vest, and ankle boots I was completely in my style “happy place”.
We all have certain styles or pieces that we are partial to, even certain decades that inspire us, and for me – I’ve always been really drawn to bohemian, hippie reminiscent, 60s and 70s inspired pieces.
With all the 70s inspired pieces coming out this year, I feel like I’ve kind of hit the jackpot. This Dynamite Clothing shirt, AEO flared jeans, and faux fur vest are just a few of my favourite scores.
For all of us, there are certain pieces that instantly jump out and inspire. Those pieces are what build our style and turn an outfit from just being an outfit to being a representation of ourselves.
Today I am sharing 6 super simple and easy tips to help you find your unique personal style.
6 Tips to Finding Your Personal Style
1. Listen to Your Gut Reaction
Discovering your personal style is really all about listening to what inspires you.
When you see something online, hanging in a store window, or worn by someone walking by and feel inspired – that’s your style zone. That feeling of “oh my gosh, I love that” – that’s where your style happy place is.
When you put on the pieces that give you that reaction, you instantly have a bit more pep in your step and confidence taking you through the day.
A lot of people have things they love, but feel like they can’t “pull them off”, and I promise you – you can.
2. Make those Trends and Styles Work for YOUThe thing about all styles, trends, style genres, and pieces is that you need to find them in a fit that works for you and your life. For example, I love all the high heel over-the-knee boots that are out right now – but high heeled boots simply aren’t practical for my life. Instead, I search for some with a smaller heel (or even better, that are flat!) so that I can incorporate them into my daily style. If you love something, you can make it work – you just need to get creative and look at it from different angles. We all can get caught up in shopping for things simply for practicality, but I believe that those practical pieces should always have something about them that inspires you.
3. Embrace Your Style JourneyFashion and personal style is always a bit of a journey. You pick things, style them, and occasionally you look back on them and think to yourself “what was I think?”. I mean, once upon a time I wore Spice Girl platforms and had bright blonde and red striped hair – and I thought it was all fabulous. There are always going to be hits, and misses. The point is to just have fun and learn to enjoy simply expressing yourself through you clothes.
4. Look for Inspiration, and then Document It!Three places I am always sure to find are: Instagram, Pinterest, and out on the streets of Vancouver. Inspiration is all around us, and we can even get it on the go now with ease with our handy phones! Create style boards on Pinterest, follow Instagram accounts that wow you, and even document your own looks that left you feeling fabulous! Occasionally when I am on the go and don’t have time to shoot an outfit, I’ll quickly snap the look on my phone as a little reminder for myself later on.
5. Shop Smarter, and Seek out Quality over QuantityIf you’re a shopper who tend to find a ton she loves, and over stuffs her closet – then chances are you have trouble honing in on what your ideal style is. I have been this person, and honestly – an over-crammed closet just leaves you stressed and feeling directionless. I have found that by occasionally shopping online rather than in stores has allowed me to better streamline the items that I choose. There’s more time to review, to consider, and really think “will this work for me?”, “is it practical?”, and lastly “does it inspire me?” Invest in pieces that really inspire you – but shop less often. Splurging on pieces you love feels less like a scary “indulgence” when you do it less because you know you’re spending your money on pieces you’ll actually want to wear.
6. Confidence Completes A LookThere’s nothing that makes a person look better in a trend, style, or outfit than having confidence! Confidence is key to really expressing your look in a authentic way. Having the confidence to walk down the street with your head held high (and give yourself a quick check out in the windows as you pass) is what will make you stand out and be able to rock any look you choose.
Here’s what is inspiring me: