outfit details: West and Wind Like a Boss T-Shirt, Aldo Crossbody, Vero Moda Jacket, Hue Jeggings,Amsterdam is a lively city full of history, and unique sights that you don’t want to miss. After spending a few weeks traveling the countryside of France, and our brief stay in the quaint town of Tellaro in Italy, we were excited to finish our European travels off in a bustling, vibrant, and energetic city. I had always heard amazing things about Amsterdam, but since this was my first time there I really didn’t know what to expect. It didn’t take me long to discover just what people so loved about this beautiful city. It is a busy city that is always alive, the people are incredibly friendly, the architecture encourages you to stop and stare, and the canals that thread through the city are enchanting. So, you’re thinking of going to Amsterdam? Well, let’s get down to packing – and how to travel smart while you’re there:
The Smart Traveler Checklist:
- Buy a Tram Ticket for Your ENTIRE Stay.
- Purchasing a Tram Ticket for the entire duration of your stay is much cheaper than purchasing a ticket with each ride. Plus, you then have the freedom to use the Tram as much as you like, and you can see more in a single day.
- Wear Smart Shoes
- This seems obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people we met who were struggling on the cobblestone in sky high heels. The fact is that Amsterdam’s streets are made up entirely of cobble stone and that is NOT high heel friendly. To ensure you’re comfortable while exploring, wear a pair of comfortable flats or sneakers.
- Pack a Coat
- If you plan on staying out all day, then you’re going to want to pack a coat. Of course this is dependent on the time of year you’re visiting Amsterdam, but if you visit during the spring like we did than you’re going to want to pack a light coat for the evenings. Also, because there is typically quite a bit of wind (being next to the Atlantic), the weather can change very suddenly throughout the day.
- Pack Sunscreen
- While we were away, the only place that I got a little sunburn was in Amsterdam. I was surprised by how hot the days were, and on our first day I forgot to pack sunscreen in my bag. While I didn’t get sunstroke or a terrible burn, I still wished I had been savvy enough to have packed along my sunscreen. Don’t make this mistake – pack it along! You won’t regret it.
- Pack a Charged Camera
- There’s a lot to see and photograph in this gorgeous city, so be prepared! Pack a fully charged camera and make sure your phone is charged 100% as well. If you can, bring your charger (and plug converter) along with you so you can charge on the go.
- Pack Multiple Plug Converters
- Wherever you’re travelling in Europe, you’re going to need to pack along a plug converter. We only packed one, which admittedly was a bit of a mistake as we couldn’t charge our phones or cameras simultaneously. If you’re going with a spouse or friends, invest in a few of these as they are infinitely useful – and 100% essential.